DRYER VENT CLEANING
Why dryer vent cleaning is important.
Dryer vents are an often-overlooked part of home maintenance. After cleaning your lint filter, it’s easy to assume that there’s no other buildup from running your appliance. However, as our Oklahoma City dryer vent cleaning service has discovered time and time again, dryer vents can build up excessively and cause serious issues like a dryer fire. If your dryer vent runs through your roof it is recommended that it be cleaned every year. State law requires dryer vents to vent to the exterior of the home, not in the garage or attic.
Signs of a clogged dryer vent:
- A musty odor is discovered in the clothing following the drying cycle.
- Clothes seem unusually hot to the touch.
- Excessive heat is noticed in the room in which the washer and dryer are operated.
- The dryer vent hood flap does not open properly when you use the dryer (this is the slotted vent opening to the exterior of your home).
- Clothes take longer than normal to dry.
- Debris is noticed within the outside dryer vent opening.
- Large amounts of lint build-up in the lint trap during each cycle.
- Odor noticed from dryer sheets used during the drying cycle.
- Clothes feel moist or damp after a cycle.
Dryer vent fires
2,900 home dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and over $35 million in property loss.
Failure to clean the dryer (34%) is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires.
More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.